Phnom Penh – Destination Justice is proud to support Rainbow Community Kampuchea (RoCK) and ILGA-ASIA in organising the 7th ILGA-ASIA Regional Conference. The first Conference one to be held in Cambodia.
The International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Intersexual Association (ILGA) organises regional conferences every two years. In 2015, the Conference gathered 360 participants in Taiwan.
This year, Rainbow Community Kampuchea (RoCK), a member of ILGA is hosting the Conference in Phnom Penh 4 to 8 December 2017. The Conference will gather LGBTIQ activists, experts and scholars working on SOGIESC issues and all other allies from around 30 to 40 countries.
The Conference acts as a regional forum where LGBTIQ activists, experts and scholars, and allies gather to exchange on regional trends. This year topic of interest may include engagement with human rights monitoring mechanisms, national human rights institutions and governments; youth participation and empowerment; resource mobilisation; family acceptance and support; physical security for LGBTI human rights defenders; sexual and reproductive health and rights.
The goals of this year conference will be:
– To review adversities against LGBTI communities in Asia during the past 2 years and brainstorm countermeasures;
– To create a safe space for LGBTIQ human rights defenders to freely discuss their works, share best practices in tackling SOGIESC-based violence and discriminations, lobbying changes in national laws and policies and advocating for LGBTI rights at the international levels;
– To identify and agree on collective strategies and priorities for regional advocacy and cross-country collaboration;
– To strengthen the solidarity amongst LGBTIQ activists in Asia for a strong and united regional movement;
– To elect leadership and representatives for the Asian LGBTI communities for 2017-2019.
Registration for participants is still open, you can register here.
For other information, check out the Conference website or contact ILGA-ASIA at email@example.com.